mystified by the aquarium
Despite missing the off schedule trash pick up this morning, J woke up ready to find something new to do. We ended up deciding to visit Mystic, Connecticut. It turns out it's just over an hour to get there for some good pizza (J says that Mystic Pizza must be good because even Julia Roberts had a big butt in that movie), some New England charm, and a renowned aquarium (which should be called a zoo/history museum or they should just rename it Sea World without the ski jumpers). We arrived a little after lunch time huuungry so we headed straight for Mystic Pizza which isn't the easiest place to find on the edge of the old town strip that is sorta tucked away. Our sausage and pepperoni pizza was some of the best tasting pizza I've ever had - and only part of that was due to how hungry I was. 
We went straight over to the Mystic aquarium and as soon as we walked in I was drawn over to the Beluga whales and I'm surprised that we didn't just stay there all day. We visited the sting ray petting area twice before I was brave enough to touch (I was more worried about sticking my hand in the ray piss water and not being able to clean my hand - then don't get me started on my idea that I would rub my eye, then the baby would have some weird ray bacteria to deal with... oh the crazy) We cruised through the indoor exhibit where I swear most of those fish with the little low set mouths have been in my nightmares. I only needed to glance at the gigantic tarantula that eats fish or people thumbs or something crazy (although it still doesn't make sense that they have those big spiders at an aquarium (case number one that it should be a zoo). The sea lion show brought back memories of Sea World minus the hokey pirates, and sadly without the otters that steal fish from the unsuspecting sea lions dressed as sailors. We visited the penquins (more on the story over at the ababybrennan blog). Then we visited the 3D motion ride, which was a last effort to not really be just an aquarium. I had to sit in the out of order chair because pregnant ladies can't take the wild motion for fear they may fall off. It was complete with 3D glasses though so I was still amused. It was essentially a roller coaster mock up in outer space - didn't even attempt to be an underwater deal. strange. Here's my favorite bashful beluga and company:





We topped off the day with dinner at the Voodoo grill with crawfish poboys and pulled pork over cheddar mashed potatoes. Ooh, the New Orleans flair in CT. Then as we watched the sun drop and the draw bridge raise, we ate the best ice cream in Mystic (which I might just believe or maybe I was just hungry again). Good day all around.
We went straight over to the Mystic aquarium and as soon as we walked in I was drawn over to the Beluga whales and I'm surprised that we didn't just stay there all day. We visited the sting ray petting area twice before I was brave enough to touch (I was more worried about sticking my hand in the ray piss water and not being able to clean my hand - then don't get me started on my idea that I would rub my eye, then the baby would have some weird ray bacteria to deal with... oh the crazy) We cruised through the indoor exhibit where I swear most of those fish with the little low set mouths have been in my nightmares. I only needed to glance at the gigantic tarantula that eats fish or people thumbs or something crazy (although it still doesn't make sense that they have those big spiders at an aquarium (case number one that it should be a zoo). The sea lion show brought back memories of Sea World minus the hokey pirates, and sadly without the otters that steal fish from the unsuspecting sea lions dressed as sailors. We visited the penquins (more on the story over at the ababybrennan blog). Then we visited the 3D motion ride, which was a last effort to not really be just an aquarium. I had to sit in the out of order chair because pregnant ladies can't take the wild motion for fear they may fall off. It was complete with 3D glasses though so I was still amused. It was essentially a roller coaster mock up in outer space - didn't even attempt to be an underwater deal. strange. Here's my favorite bashful beluga and company:
We topped off the day with dinner at the Voodoo grill with crawfish poboys and pulled pork over cheddar mashed potatoes. Ooh, the New Orleans flair in CT. Then as we watched the sun drop and the draw bridge raise, we ate the best ice cream in Mystic (which I might just believe or maybe I was just hungry again). Good day all around.

1 Comments:
Lauren, I went to Mystic when I visiting my frient in CT this past month and have almost the same exact picture of the sign. That is so funny. It really was some of the best pizza ever. CT was so much fun and I LOVED Mystic!!!
By
Anonymous, at 4:23 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home